Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Progress Report

My "No-Nagging Project" gets a B+.

I did great until Sunday morning, when my son ran into the living room with forks in his hands. As flirtatiously as I could ('cause it's not really nagging if you're smiling, right?), I said to Tom, "Hmm... How did Peter get those forks? Someone must have left the silver chest open."

By Monday night, I was downright pushy. I'd spent the past 24 hours clearing out the living room for painters to come (no not furniture-- but all the stuff like lamps and pictures and blasted knick-knacks), then entertaining a toddler away from home all day while they worked. That evening, as I worked to get the room back in order, Tom lay on the couch with the remote control. "Uh, could I get a little help here?" I said. He looked a little irritated and asked, "What do you want me to do?" And I told him.

All things considered, though, I think I did a good job. I didn't even tell Tom what I was doing (or not doing, I should say), since that would have made it more... I don't know... feel more like a chore and less like an exciting experiment?

I'm going to try again this week.

1 comment:

Susie said...

It's so hard to communicate with one's husband when one's husband doesn't notice obvious things! I know mine misses five thousand things a day that seem obvious to me. One can't nag, but one can't stop communicating, either, lest one's head explode from the buildup of resentment. It's just that there are SO MANY THINGS to communicate about, and SO LITTLE TIME to say them in a nice, sensitive, non-nagging way. I know it has a lot to do with the fact that the home is my workplace 24/7. When you find the solution, please let us know!