Monday, January 19, 2009

Confessions of a Facebook Whore

After hearing my sisters-in-law discuss their facebook interaction, I finally felt left out enough to take the plunge. I'd create a profile, hook up with a couple of other very close friends, and check my page once a week or so.

Then I got there. I realized that there was this huge party that had been going on without me for months and months. When I had ten friend requests within two hours, I felt like the prettiest girl in the room. How did these people find me? And what fun I'd have catching up with old friends!

If by "catching up" you mean glancing at a few pictures to see who had gone blond, let themselves go, or had a slew of children.

When the cheapness of it all hit me, I decided that I'd confirm anyone who added me as a friend, but I wouldn't add any more friends myself. I didn't want a list too long to keep up with. I wanted a list of meaningful relationships.

My integrity lasted... oh, five minutes. The genius of facebook is that you can't look at someone's wall without becoming their "friend." So maybe I would go ahead and add some of my old sorority sisters as friends. I mean, as long as we were friends once upon a time. It wasn't quite as random as the friend requests I was getting from girls who just happened to have lived in the freshman dorm with me. But, oh, there's that funny guy who was in my art class!

...One weekend and fifty--no, sixty now!-- friends later, I'm watching for signs of a communicable disease.

2 comments:

me said...

The good thing is that after a couple of weeks the novelty will wear off...you can spend about 2 minutes a day or less and fill like you are getting enough...but, yes, a fun way to be nosy about people! So glad you're on though!

TulipGirl said...

*L*

You know, I'm soooo glad to have found some long-lost friends on facebook. It's good to see photos of my best friend from 1st grade -- though, after all these years, I probably wouldn't have tracked her down by telephone or written a real letter, still I'm glad to see that she is doing well and what direction she's gone in life, you know?

And as a military brat, I've especially enjoyed reliving good memories of people and places that are long past.