Sunday, May 6, 2007

A Match Made in Heaven

“Goodness of fit.” It’s a term used to describe how well (or not well) the temperaments of a parent and child mix. When their temperaments fit nicely, that gives the child the best possibility for social and academic success.

It also allows the mother, if she only has this one child, to pat herself on the back for being Best Mother on the Planet while smugly offering advice to anyone who’ll listen. I pray for the fertility of these mothers. Give ‘em enough kids, they’ll get their comeuppance.

(Oops, did I say that out loud?)

So, how nicely does Peter’s temperament fit with mine? Well, we’re alike. We’re both persistent, intense, active, and not-so-adaptable. Either we were made for each other, or one of us is going to drive the other into therapy.

I’m not sure what the experts would say, but you know what? I believe that Peter and I are the perfect fit. I believe that my next child, however different he may be, will be the perfect fit. And the child after that, too. I believe this because God doesn’t make mistakes. When God formed Peter in my womb, he knew what he was doing.

He knew that Peter’s colossal resistance to sleep training would humble me. He knew that Peter’s elevated sense of humor would delight me. He knew that my determination might sometimes frustrate Peter, though it would also stretch him.

He created both of us, knew us before we were born, and in his wisdom chose that we be mother and child. Together with Tom, we are puzzle pieces in his ultimate plan, even if we don’t know what the final picture will be.

I do not always understand the ways of God, but this I know:

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8,9

No comments: